Saturday 12 September 2015

PRODUCING A SERIES

I have just returned from a glass "Masterclass", and throughout the week, we were shown slides of our tutor's work and the progression of her career.

She was at pains to point out to us that she worked, always, to a theme, first deciding on her point of interest, and then producing sketches and thoughts on paper to explore that particular "idea".

As a result, her work has evolved gradually, moving from series to series, each series with a nod to a previous series.

Many artists work in this way, whether they are producing two dimensional, or three dimensional work.  Others jump from one idea to another, each day or week a different subject.

I would suggest that if you want your work to "grow" in maturity, you consider the idea of working to a series - particularly if your inclination is  to simply wake up each day and pick a different subject as your mood takes you.    I am not suggesting this is a "wrong" way to work, but recommending you try a series approach.  Because, with a series, you will discover that your thoughts will solidify as you work, ideas will develop automatically and seamlessly, and each piece you produce will lend strength and power to the previous one, particularly if you eventually plan to show your work.

I am still in the learning stage of becoming a "glasser" - someone who works with kiln-formed glass.  However, I decided to keep to a particular colour theme for the masterclass, and was glad that I did because they do show rather well together and I feel each one "adds strength" to the other.  These are the pieces I produced during the week, when I learned about producing "drop vessels" - a rather remarkable way to work which begins with flat sheets of glass.  No glass blowing involved here!


As a painter I have usually worked in this way, and have enjoyed the whole "series" idea.  I have done a Venice series, a woods series, a garden birds series,  a children-at-play series, a sea-scene series, a group of market scenes, a group of still life images, a garden series.........it is only occasionally, now, that I will tackle a single image, since working in a series has become something of a habit.   

My 2D work with enamels done for this year's Open Studio (in progress now, ending 27th September, call or email me for details if  you might like to pop along)   shows the series idea...I worked exclusively with landscape.... and for the future ....I plan to try to apply this to my work with glass.  It is, I firmly believe, a healthy way to work, and habit worth developing.











2 comments:

  1. Yes to the series idea. Best advice one of my mentors gave me many years ago. I exhibit regularly and the show are a series of series! Often three or four works on each theme, and each one helps the next in the series. Also for viewers it makes a coherent show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is beautiful, Jackie!

    ReplyDelete

please feel free to leave me a message